La Route du Sel 555 (aka Trans 555)

Reports from other types of races, including triathlon, single sport, and orienteering.

La Route du Sel 555 (aka Trans 555)

Postby AR Feed on Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:17 pm

By Luke Cunliffe.

More than twice the distance of the Marathon des Sables (MdS), the Route du Sel 555 is probably the longest desert footrace in the world – it’s certainly the longest I’ve ever come across. There are a few other differences – for example the Marathon des Sables is a stage race which means runners are on the move for up to 6 hours most days with a rest of about 18. The Route du Sel however (or Trans 555 as it was known amongst runners whilst in the palnning stages)...

Read more...

Source: 4 Adventure Racing Info | 4AR.info
AR Feed

Trans 555 - La Route de Sel - Pre Race update2

Postby AR Feed on Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:17 pm

Audio transcript from Luke Cunliffe.

"This is Luke Cunlife reporting from Niger on the eastern side on Tuesday 2nd of November - just giving you an update on the Route de Sel 555 which begins tomorrow morning. The Route De Sel is a route between Bilma and Agides to the West of Bilma about 600km away - and is a route for transporting salt from the salt mines"

Read more...

AR Feed

Route Des Sel (Trans 555) - Day 2

Postby AR Feed on Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:10 am

By Luke Cunliffe

It's about ten to four in the afternoon of Thursday and so far i've managed about 60km which is a little less than I would have hoped. It's actually been one of the most horrible experiences I've had in racing for a very long time.. The first two checkpoints came and went quite quikcly - in around 8 hours - but with temperatures now 50 degress (C) both days in the sun and 35 degrees in the shade at the check points - it's incredibly difficult to combat the heat here -...

Read more...

AR Feed

Route de Sel (Trans 555) - Day 3

Postby AR Feed on Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:08 pm

By Luke Cunliffe.

7:45pm Friday 5th November.. and for me unfortunately it been an absolutely disastrous 24 hours which culminated in me retiring from the race at about lunchtime today. The problems I had for the first day and a half just didn't seem to abate. I got progressively weaker - as I was unable to eat or drink anything and keep it down despote several attempts, so unfortunately by lunchtime today it was pretty much all over. So with regret I've had to retire, which leaves...

Read more...

AR Feed

Route de Sel (Trans 555) Day 5

Postby AR Feed on Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:56 pm

By Luke Cunliffe

Sunday 7th, 5:15pm in the evening. I'm now way up the front of the field with the support crews - in fact at checkpoint 15 or 16 even. At the moment the news is that Alicia is way, way ahead - she has around a 40km lead now over the next two runners, Francis and Rene. Francis and Rene are now running together and behind them is a chap called Gerard and then Patrice.

Read more...

AR Feed

Route de Sel (Trans 555) - Day 6

Postby AR Feed on Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:56 pm

By Luke Cunliffe

Monday 8th November - 9:30am. At Cp 16 - we've now had half the runners come through here - about 12 runners - and at the moment the runenrs that we've seen are still looking pretty reasonable. Many seem to be going in pairs - obviously finding it easier to travel with someone rather than on their own - although one or two are struggling along on their own.

Read more...

AR Feed

Route de Sel (Trans 555) - Day 6

Postby AR Feed on Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:35 pm

By Luke Cunliffe

Monday 8th November - 9:30am. At Cp 16 - we've now had half the runners come through here - about 12 runners - and at the moment the runenrs that we've seen are still looking pretty reasonable. Many seem to be going in pairs - obviously finding it easier to travel with someone rather than on their own - although one or two are struggling along on their own.

Read more...

AR Feed

Route de Sel (Trans 555) - Day 7

Postby AR Feed on Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:35 pm

By Luke Cunliffe

Good morning it's tuesday the 9th of November, 10:25am. Last night I spent the night at checkpoint 22 which was about 60km from the end of the race. I was very pleased to see Alicia when she arrived in 1st position still - now some 40km ahead of the next runner. But after a break of only half an hour with a little massage and taking on board some electrolytes she went on her way.

Read more...

AR Feed

Route de Sel (Trans 555) - Day 8

Postby AR Feed on Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:01 pm

By Luke Cunliffe

It's Wedensday 10th November - about 7pm . The race was won yesterday around 4:30pm by Alicia Baharona in an incredible 6 and a half days or something ridiculous... an absolutely fantastic performance. She is the first ever winner of this monsterous race which will please her. She doing lots of press interviews as there are a lot of journalists out here today - and I'm still waiting to get my chance to chat with her - maybe at the restuarant this evening. Second...

Read more...

AR Feed

Return to Non-AR Race Reports